Code of Practice

Otago Boys’ High School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. The Code may be accessed from the NZQA website 

Full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand are available through the NZ Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Eligibility for Health services. Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full cost of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed in their website at



What do I do if I have a complaint about the school or an agent of the school?

First you must to talk to the school, either the Director of International Students ([email protected]), or the Rector (Richard Hall, [email protected]). The Code requires that all complaints go through the school’s internal processes before you can take the complaint further. If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, contact NZQA. NZQA is a government organisation who will give you an independent assessment and may investigate the matter themselves or advise you about what to do next. You can phone for advice, phone 0800 697 296, or submit your complaint in writing, [email protected]. More detail about the process, and a complaint form, can be viewed at:

You can also view a brochure for international students about the complaints process (PDF, 147KB)


Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS)

If it is a contractual or financial dispute, you can use the DRS, the International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme. It provides a free, faster and effective process for international students to resolve contractual and financial disputes with education providers. FairWay has been appointed by the Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment for administering the Dispute Resolution Scheme. Please go to to find out about the complaints process. You can read the new International Student Contract Dispute Resolution Scheme (DRS) on the Legislation website. You can contact iStudent Complaints by phone, 0800 00 66 75.

Remember that you must have attempted to resolve the complaint with the School before using iStudent Complaints.