Last week we celebrated 'Vaiaso o le gagana Samoa' (Samoan Language Week).
The theme of the week was "Lalaga le si'osi'omaga mose lumana'i manuia"; Weave an environment for a better future.
Our goal for the week was to weave an environment to ensure our Pasifika students thrive at OBHS.
- A daily competition in the school notices to encourage students to try Samoan words and phrases.
- Our Pasifika students wore their Ie Faitaga/tupenu.
- Students braved the rain and cold on Thursday lunch for a cake stall that raised funds for our Polyfest group. Happy customers enjoyed island treats as well as homemade baking put on by parents and staff.
- Samoan labels on food items at the canteen (e.g. Sanuisi, vai inu, pai).
- A SLW display in the library highlighting famous old boys of Samoan descent such as Johnathan Lemalu and Sio Thompkinson.
- Staff were provided with resources for them to place in their classroom such as Samoan proverbs and welcome posters.
- A list of our Samoan students for staff to identify who is Samoan in their classrooms.
- A Samoan music playlist was shared to staff to play in their classrooms while students work.