Under 15 Rugby National Tournament

By Reuben Bouman | Posted: Wednesday September 12, 2018

On Sunday 2nd of September, we all met at OBHS, pumped for what the week was going to bring us.

After celebrating Mr Ashwin's birthday with a few cupcakes and a birthday song we headed to the airport. Arriving in Auckland late in the evening, we jumped on a bus and headed to the YHA which was going to be our home for the week. We had a quick meeting and a bite to eat before we hit the hay for a big first day.

First day of tournament saw us play Wesley College and St Bede's.

Game one, Wesley College score 17-13 to Wesley. We jumped off the bus at St Peter's turf only to see a team of good size. Playing on the artificial turf didn't work in our favour but we fought hard and were leading 13 -12 with time up, only for Wesley to score a try resulting in a 4 point loss.

Game two, St Bede's score 15-7 to St Bede's. Second game on artificial turf, and still recovering from our first game the boys held on to keep the score at 12-7 for them to kick a penalty in the last couple of minutes. We went home to YHA to get some food and hit the ice baths.

Game three, Auckland Grammar (host of tournament) score 29-26 to Auckland Grammar. Finally a game on grass! We played in front of a vocal Auckland Grammar. The boys gelled as a team, we all did what we needed to do to keep them within 3 points, a mighty effort considering the huge number of injuries sustained in the match. This Auckland Grammar team placed 4th overall in the competition.

Game four, Westlake Boys' score 27-26 to Otago Boys'. A new midfield and a few sore bodies saw us struggling to get in the game but an urge to get a better placing than last year lead the boys to battle through with a solid second half to get the win against Westlake and our old teammate Paul Joseph.

Game five, Hastings Boys' score 36-14 to Hastings Boys'. A few injuries and niggles saw us face a well drilled Hastings Boys' team. Not the best of halves, 31-7 at half time but the boys found a second gear and won the second half 5 -7.

Final game, Wesley College score 21-14 to Wesley. Last day saw some new changes, due to injuries in our back line. This bought out number 8 Captain Semisi Taeiloa to make his back line debut starting in second five. A tough first half saw us behind 21- 0. The boys played the second half with heart, keeping the opposition scoreless and we managed 2 tries.

I would like to acknowledge Mr Hall for coming to support us in our final game. Thank you to all the parents and sponsors that helped us get to tournament.

I would also like to thank Mr Alderton and Mr Ashwin for all their time, patience and effort they put in for all the boys. Also, to Thomas Grant for all the organisation and kit he sorted for us. We were sorry that he couldn't make it to tournament.

A special thank you to the parents that helped us at tournament, and a very special thank you to Lana Wills for organising fundraising, cooking and A&E trips.

Last but not least a BIG THANK YOU to the boys for a great season, one to remember.

Image Gallery