By Rob Wither | Posted: Thursday May 19, 2022
Our annual blood donation day has arrived for our Year 13 students.
When: Tuesday, 24th of May (9:10am-1pm).
There has been a short presentation in senior assembly around blood donation day, but here are further details for you to consider.
The NZ Blood Service looks after the students who donate blood and provides a free bus from OBHS on the day, this will depart from the front of the castle's main entrance.
Facts around Blood Donation:
· Every day 83 NZ’s will need lifesaving blood or plasma.
· Every 18 mins someone in NZ needs blood or plasma.
· Blood only lasts 35 days.
· O+ and A+ are the two most common blood types in NZ , so there is always demand for those types. Once you donate you will find out what your blood type is.
· One blood donation can save up to three lives.
How to donate
16 and over (Year13) plus certain criteria to donate blood with ID
We need 18 volunteers.
Please see sheet attached for further details.
Here is the NZ school blood donors video link outlining why giving blood is so critical to help others potentially in need (if you feel that you can and are in a position to do so).
https://youtu.be/2CFGIPH4S6I and also a story of a recipient is always helpful – see our story page https://www.nzblood.co.nz/get-involved/amazing-stories/
Who to contact: If you have any issues and/or concerns you are welcome to make contact with me: [email protected]